Cooking from the Orange Is The New Black Cookbook!

If you saw my What I Got For Christmas post, I received the Orange Is The New Black cookbook! It was something I wanted more for the behind the scenes element featured in the book as I actually thought the recipes were more of a novelty than anything else. However, upon looking through the book there is a lot of recipes that I would try! Over the past few weeks, my Mum and I have tried out three of the recipes so I thought I would share our attempts!

The first one was Red's Chicken Kiev. Each recipe in the book is contributed by a character from the show which I think is a really quirky addition!  A lot of the recipes in the book are a reference to something in the show so in all honesty, if you don't watch OITNB this aspect of the book is kind of wasted. My Mum was interested because she likes chicken kievs whereas I picked up the joke if you get me!


They were actually really nice though and I would imagine much healthier than the chicken kiev's you would pick up cheap in the supermarkets. I wouldn't rush to have them again but they were a nice change. This recipe can be found on p84 of the book.

I also made Piper's Burrata sandwich for lunch one day! This recipe can be found on p33 of the book.


This was a complete nightmare to try and collect ingredients for. I think this may have been easier in a better area as our supermarkets are pretty small. I ended up substituting most of the ingredients best I could in order to make this! I used Mozzarella instead of Burrata cheese as I discovered that it is just Mozzarella in cream. I also used cherry vine tomatoes instead of heirloom ones and rocket instead of baby arugula as I could not find that either! I think that due to this book being printed in America a lot of the ingredients required for it's recipes can't be easily accessed over here. The sandwich was amazing though, it was extremely tasty! I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches but I would definitely make this again.

 Finally, my Mum also made Vee's Butternut Squash, Leek & Ginger soup. This can be found on p50 of the book.


I have to say I honestly did not think I was going to like this but it was really nice! I know she didn't add the cream or the wine so that may have made a difference. Like the sandwich, I would definitely have this again!

I hope you enjoyed this post, I will also be back tomorrow with my favourite dresses from tonight's SAG Awards! If you have a copy of the OITNB cookbook, have you made anything from it?


No comments