Hanging Out Down The Street... | That 70's Show Review |



Last week I finished off the eighth and final season of That 70's Show which made me a little sad! I have mentioned this show in a favourites post before as I have been working my way through the episodes since last summer. This show is a binge favourite of mine as at 20 minutes long, it was extremely easy to watch loads in one siting! There are 200 episodes of That 70's Show in total so I thought I would share some of my thoughts on it. Obviously not on every episode because that would be ridiculous ha!

That 70's Show is set in Point Place, Wisconsin and revolves around Eric Forman played by Topher Grace and his circle of friends. There are so many interesting characters and I have a little piece of love for  pretty much every single one of them. My personal favourite is definitely Hyde who was played by Danny Masterson. There was something so casual about him and I absolutely loved his dry sense of humour. I adored Eric's mom Kitty (Debra Jo Rupp) too as she has the best laugh I have ever heard on television. Her laugh literally made the unfunniest comment funny. One of the minor characters Caroline played by Allison Munn was also great as she played the crazy girlfriend role very well. I was always happy to see her pop up again.

Apart from it's brilliantly catchy theme song, the best thing about That 70's Show is that it's cast is made up of many familiar and established actors but it was pretty much their breakthrough roles as it ran from 1998 - 2006. I personally found it really geekily interesting seeing how young they all looked! It was also crazy to see how far they have came in their acting careers now. For this reason, I think I enjoyed it more than I would of when it aired as I recognised so many faces. It has some excellent celebrity cameos including Melissa Joan Hart and Luke Wilson off the top of my head. It also introduced me to some new great actors such as Wilmer Valderrama, Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith.

There are so many brilliant episodes that there are far too many to rattle off. To name a few, I particularly liked the episode with Eric and Donna's first date and there was a random one where the gang debated skipping out on a restaurant bill. That 70's Show in my opinion was consistently good across the seasons that it kept me interested to keep watching. I would say though that Season 8 was slightly more disappointing than the rest but it is the one that is most fresh in my mind. The absence of Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher was very noticeable as it left a pretty big hole in the show. Eric and Kelso were definitely not my favourite characters but I did honestly miss them during the final season. They tried to replace them with a new character named Randy played by Josh Meyers but I felt he fell very flat. I wouldn't say he was terrible however. I was slightly underwhelmed with how the last episode wrapped the storyline up as we will never know if Donna and Eric got back together! Maybe it's better if the fans presumed so and weren't disappointed I guess. There was a scene in the last episode with Kitty complimenting each character and basically saying why she loved them. Her comment about Donna being like a daughter to her was particularly sweet. I thought it was so moving and it was a really lovely scene. You could tell that the emotion conveyed by the actors was very much real.

I adored watching That 70's Show and I'm so glad I gave it a try. Even though I was aware of it previously, I'm actually glad I didn't tune in when it originally aired as I have discovered a television gem now. I think it's more popular than I realised even now almost 10 years after it finished airing. It is now available in it's entirety on UK Netflix so I could not recommend it more. It's an easy watch that's funny and will definitely make you smile.




No comments