My Top Halloween Stories | Lifestyle


It's officially Halloween week! The most exciting thing is that as soon as it is out of the way it's straight onto Christmas!! Now that the nights are getting darker, why not have an early night and tuck yourself up in bed with a good read? Casper who are a US based  mattress company recently asked me what my favourite scary stories were so I thought I would share my favourite Halloween themed books to get you into the holiday spirit! On a side note, I am a little envious that they are US based as their mattress literally looks like the comfiest thing ever. I was scrolling through Instagram a few days ago and discovered that even the infamous A played by Vanessa Ray owns one! (proof is on her Instagram here...) 


Twilight 10th Anniversary Edition 

Starting off with a not so scary one, it's 10th Anniversary Edition of Twilight! I think any teenage girl around 5 years ago was obsessed with this franchise and I just couldn't help myself buying a copy of this! It's hard cover so it is slightly more expensive but contains the original first novel and if you flip it over, the story is reimagined. As far as I know, Bella is now a male vampire and Edward is a girl. I haven't read the new story quite just yet as I only purchased it this month but I am definitely intrigued. My Twilight days are long gone but my 16 year old self would of had this on preorder!

If you are looking particularly for a vampire read this Halloween, why not check out the full Twilight Saga? 


The Southern Vampire Mysteries / The Sookie Stackhouse Novels / The True Blood Novels

Now if you were a fan of the TV show True Blood, this is the series for you! Now there are 13 books in this series so it is most definitely an unrealistic reading goal before Halloween but you can start the first one or maybe pick up where you left off if you have explored this story before! I first read these when True Blood first came around so my memory of them is a bit vague but this is a good and more adult option to Twilight. True Blood may have ended now on screen but I think delving back into Sookie and Bill's world is ideal reading this Halloween. 


The Walking Dead Novels

I absolutely love The Walking Dead so I was super excited to see find out there was a book series based on the show! I really liked the Governor as a character on the show which is probably a little strange as he was so evil... I found his storyline extremely compelling and would say he was one of the best characters The Walking Dead has had on screen. If like me, the original comic books are not really your thing, this series is a good alternative companion piece to the show.


Gone Girl 

Not everyone likes horror but you cannot beat a good thriller! This was a book I read around Halloween time last year close to the film's release in cinemas and I absolutely loved it. It is very slow to begin with and took me quite a few attempts to get into but honestly when it grabs you, you will not be able to put it down! This is not a scary read but it's one I could not put down at bedtime as it is very gripping. It follows the story of Nick and Amy Dunne who have a bit of a turbulent relationship and on their anniversary, Amy suddenly goes missing. The mystery lies in what exactly happened to Amy as Nick is framed for her murder. Amy is a phenomenal character who is incredibly clever but also a little terrifying!  The best bit? Once you have finished reading, you can go watch the film! 


The Resident

My final pick is more of a quirky one being the novelisation of a relatively unknown horror film from 2011. The film stars Hilary Swank as Juliet, a surgeon who rents an apartment from Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character Max. He however is not all who he seems and frequently begins spying on her with his creepy behaviour gradually escalating over the course of the story. This is not horror as such as I would say it was more a thriller novel like Gone Girl. However, I find it a harrowing story as it is could very realistically happen in the real world. Out of all the picks in this post, I think the true horror lies within this one.


I hope you enjoyed this post, I would love to hear what your favourite Halloween themed books are? 


No comments