Orange Is The New Black Season 3 (SPOILERS)


So. Many. Thoughts. Where do I even begin?! Like the rest of the Netflix loving world, I spent two solid nights watching Season 3 of Orange Is The New Black and instantly regretted watching it so quickly. Some people said it was a boring season where others loved it but I personally thought it was a solid season which I really enjoyed. I found it more entertaining than Season 2 but still not as good as Season 1 which really drew me into loving the show. I think it may be easier to discuss the Season by character so here it goes!



Piper

Piper most definitely was not a fan favourite this season but her comedic humour really was on top form. I think she was funnier than she has ever been on the show. Particular highlights for me were her joking that she was the spy watching Alex and the scene were she gave a speech trying to recruit girls for her panty business. The panty business storyline itself almost ruined all the character development  that happened at the start of the season about Piper finally discovering who she was and not caring about what others expected of her. She turned malicious all of a sudden and went on a complete power trip towards the end of the season. As much as I found her annoying and out of control, I really think Piper is essential to the show and I still can't not like her regardless of how ridiculous she's being! She disappointed me cheating on Alex but she'll go running back to her when she loses all her friends again guaranteed.

Alex

If you've read any of my OITNB related content before, you will know that Alex is my absolute fave. I didn't like her at all when I first started watching the show but she grew on me a lot with her sassiness and witty humour. I was so chuffed that she was back full time this season as I really missed her presence in Season 2 as what was supposed to be 'most of the season' was four episodes that she was barely in! I was really taken by surprise when she first appeared as I was just chilling, eating my cereal and wasn't really paying much attention at the 'extra' lying on the top bunk! I would say though that I don't think she really had as much of a profound presence that she did in Season 1 and I feel like she was a little bit of a spare character in a few of the episodes. Her little plot with Lolly was great as I loved her last season and I really, really loved the backstory episode as I am SO interested in the cartel. It was ace to see another appearance from Kubra and Fahri too! Her cliffhanger in Episode 13 is what everyone is talking about though, I was literally glued to the TV waiting for her to have another scene. I will be so mad if her full time appearance in Season 4 is a lie and she is hurt by that sneaky CO from the cartel! A year is seriously too damn long to find out if she's okay!!

Piper and Alex

Piper and Alex are most definitely my favourite duo in the show. They are arguably the main focus of the show and most certainly the major talking point amongst fans. I was really happy (like Morello) to see them back together this season as I love that banter between them. They didn't have a great deal of scenes that were really great but I liked all the little filler scenes where they were just sitting together discussing something. The highlight this season for them was definitely the drama class scene where they were forced to hash out all their problems infront of the other inmates. I loved the concept of Piper selling fruit to Alex that she wasn't happy with, it was all very cleverly done. The mix tape scene was very sweet and I also loved the banter about 'the spy' until it actually turned out Alex wasn't paranoid for nothing like Piper claimed! I couldn't say I was disappointed about the breakup at all as I doubt it will last long and Piper needs to sort herself out. 

Stella

Contrary to popular opinion as a Piper and Alex fan, I actually really liked Stella. She was so chill and just seemed effortless the entire time she was on screen. She completely appeared out of nowhere though just sitting sewing the panties like she had been in the show the entire time!! That really disappointed me as I'm sure Piper would of seen her before if she really liked the look of her that much... It was also a let down that she had no backstory at all, no reason for where she had been all this time and it seems rather unlikely that she will appear in the next season after Piper wrongfully sent her off to Max. That was just cold. Stella certainly did not have the impact that she was hyped up to have in causing friction between Piper and Alex but she was a nice, quirky addition to the cast. Her accent too is awesome.

Nicky

WHAT WAS WITH NICKY GOING TO MAX?! 3 episodes was not sufficient enough for Nicky  this season as it seriously lacked her witty remarks. I kind of had a thought this may have happened due to Natasha Lyonne's scheduling rumours but it still sucked to see it actually happening. It was almost as disappointing as the lack of Alex last season and that was a pretty big deal to me. Rumour is that Nicky will be back in Season 4 so I will be keeping my fingers crossed!

Pennsatucky and Big Boo

I absolutely loved their little budding friendship this season. For two characters I never used to really like, I enjoyed their scenes together. If you told me last year that I would of been feeling sorry for Pennsatucky, I wouldn't of believed you!

Wardens

I wasn't overly keen on the wardens that arrived this season. I quite liked the dim one that Alex and Piper were observing to help shift the panties out of Litchfield, he was pretty funny. I loved the scene when Alex was raking the yard and trying to catch his attention, if only he knew! I really liked the new female CO who ran the drama class, she reminded me a bit of Fischer from the previous seasons.  I found Caputo and Fig as annoying as ever sorry to say and there was a serious lack of Luschek. He sent Nicky to Max though so I'm mad at him ha. 

Daya and Bennett

I'm not a massive fan of either of them in all honesty but I rather enjoyed their baby storyline this season. I'm not sure about Bennett just appearing at the start of the season and never coming back without any explanation but asides from that Daya's story arc this season was pretty good. I loved the addition of Mary Steenburgen playing Mendez's mother, she added a really interesting dynamic.

Crazy Eyes

After a bit of Crazy Eyes overkill last season when she turned all wicked hanging out with Vee, I felt there was a bit of a significant lack of Suzanne this season. However, she had a few shining moments that I thought she was exceptionally funny in. I loved when she muttered 'They call me crazy' when Alex was lashing out at the new CO in the bathrooms and when she kept suggesting 'the moon' at drama class. The storyline with her novel was also entertaining and her little budding romance with that new inmate was rather sweet. 

Morello

I find Morello an absolute sweetheart and she's one of my favourite characters but I found her storyline a little strange this season. I felt for her when she was separated from Nicky but I feel like it was a little radical to marry a stranger like she did! I enjoyed her Christopher storyline so much more.

Lack of Larry

I think my subheading will sum this whole topic up! I really appreciated this Larry free season of OITNB. I actually really liked him to begin with but as the first season progressed, he truly showed just how much of a moron he actually was and how evidently Alex was the better choice for Piper (she could actually admit to being in the wrong). His stint on the radio show was just unforgivable.

Norma

I am absolutely done with Norma. Her plot was so drawn out and it was just so ugh. I swear she got most of the screen time this season. I mean come on, she doesn't even talk! (Good acting though).

I think I've shared enough of my thoughts for one post or this is going to get ridiculously long (as if it isn't already)! A lot of people said they were disappointed with this season as it was boring but I honestly really enjoyed it. I plan to re-watch it at so point to pick up on the details I missed during my initial binge watch. I thought it was much better than Season 2 as I didn't have much interest in Vee's plot which took up most of the screen time. I wouldn't say it was as brilliant as Season 1 though but it was a very funny season overall. I feel like there was a lot of loose ends this year but we can only hope they'll be resolved after a (very) long wait. Have you watched the newest episode of Orange Is The New Black? I'd love to hear what you think!

Dyan x

No comments