Season Finale Roundup


The start of summer means that all our favourite TV shows that run the whole year reach their season finale. I prefer 'binge watching' TV series' now as I can watch as many episodes as I like until I decide I love it or that I am never going to tune in again. I do think it encourages me to watch more new TV (I'm currently watching the first episode of the new Netflix original Grace and Frankie right now...) but I still like to stick with my old favourites by tuning in every week for them. There were some pretty great season finales last month so I thought I would share a few thoughts on them. This post will contain spoilers but they all aired a good few weeks ago now so I imagine most people will have seen the episodes!

The Vampire Diaries

I was really anticipating the season finale of this show as it was the last appearance of Nina Dobrev as the lead character, Elena Gilbert. I was rather gutted when she announced her departure as asides from Damon Salvatore, she is probably my favourite character on the show. I don't know how long the show will last without her as she really is the staple character that the story revolves around but I am interested to see where it leads next. I could not realistically see Elena leaving Mystical Falls  so I expected her character to be killed off which I did not really want to see either! I thought Elena's exit from her falling into a coma after being magically linked to Bonnie was very tasteful yet still totally tragic as Bonnie would have to pass away before she would ever wake up again. I would like to see Elena make an appearance again when the show ends so she can come out of her coma and live happily ever after with Damon. I am a bit of a hopeless romantic like that! On another note, I am still mourning the loss of Jo. I was loving her character this season, they wrote her out far too soon!

Modern Family

I thought the season finale was absolutely fabulous this year! It was not an overly exciting episode but it was was packed full of humour from start to finish. Cam's new braces affecting his speech was brilliant and the whole scenario of him thinking Mitch was cheating on him was really comical. This episode revolved around Alex's graduation but Phil was unable to fly home to be there so he spent the episode 'Skyping' the gang on what looked like an iPad attached to a Segway. The whole concept was very cleverly done and I truly found it very funny seeing him scooting about Jay's house causing all sorts of mischief! On a more serious note, I loved the little bit of drama between Haley and Andy. The moment between them and Phil was very touching as he threw himself down the stairs to try and tell them that they loved each other as his sound cut on out his screen! I would like to see them get together at some point on this show as they are very sweet together.

New Girl 

I have had a bit of a love hate relationship with New Girl over the past couple of years. It was hilarious when it first started but I have found myself increasingly less interested in it. I did however, really enjoy the season finale. It was nice to finally see Schmidt and Cece get back together after a long season of building up to it. I thought Schmidt's proposal was very sweet and I am really intrigued to see what happens with them next season!

The Big Bang Theory 

I was spoiled for the last episode of The Big Bang Theory as someone I followed on Twitter went to watch the taping and posted pretty much the entire plot on my feed... I was rather mad so I didn't enjoy the season finale as much as I should have as I knew everything that was going to happen! I cannot believe what happened with Sheldon and Amy though, I really hope they resolve their differences next season! I had a discussion with a friend about Sheldon's apparent 'engagement' ring for Amy and I'm not entirely convinced that is what it was. I think it was simply to generate a big cliffhanger and discussion point for the next season as is Sheldon really going to commit to something as major as engagement when a few of episodes ago they just had their first sleepover?! I think it was maybe more along the lines of a promise ring or something like that. I can't wait to find out what happens next with them!

Do you watch any of these TV shows? If so, what did you think of their season finales?


No comments