BLOGMAS 2016 DAY 6 - TV Boxset Gift Guide




This is my third year now doing Blogmas (how times flies!) and I have featured this every year as I love TV and really pride myself on making a good TV show recommendation. I have picked my recommendations on new and all time personal favourites of mine. I would say they were definitely pitched at girls but that doesn't mean guys couldn't enjoy them too!


Jane The Virgin



Jane has been my best TV find of 2016. I feel the name can be a little off putting if you know nothing about the show at all but it is honestly a brilliant piece of television. 

I don't want to say too much about the plot as there is always so many underlying storylines away from the base plot of the show's main character, Jane Villanueva, who is accidentally artificially inseminated.

The show is produced in a comedic style but there is still underlying elements of mystery revolving the characters. It is based heavily on telenovela's which makes the plot come across as a bit daft at times but it works really well. The show is both in English and Spanish which adds such a really cool dynamic. I usually hate subtitles in general but I really do enjoy the Spanish cultural aspect of this show as it makes it different from other US TV shows out there.

I particularly love how text appears on the screen narrating some scenes,  you will see what I mean better if you tune in! 


You're The Worst


You're The Worst is definitely an under watched show in my experience. Don't get me wrong some episodes are just not that good like any other show out there but it really is a great watch overall.

I found it hard to think how to describe You're The Worst but I would sum it up by saying it followed the lives of a group of young-ish people living in Los Angeles. The main characters, Jimmy and Gretchen, generally just hate people but they meet at the start of the season and discover they find a person they actually like in each other. The story really just revolves around their relationship and lives together along with their friends Lindsay and Edgar.

I really like the comedic aspect of this show and it is an easy watch,  yet it has explored some deep issues over it's three season run so far. If you are looking for something to watch that is not 'hyped' up and watched by everyone out there, I would really recommend this.


Gossip Girl


Gossip Girl in my opinion is an absolute TV classic. The show has finished now and I actually still miss watching it every week but the plus side of this is thatyou can binge watch every single season! The boxsets are actually extremely cheap online now and definitely worth gifting someone in your life.

The show revolves round a group extremely wealthy young people in the Upper East Side in New York. Season 1 begins with them all at private school, following them into college and their adult lives by Season 6. A mysterious blogger known as 'Gossip Girl' watches their every move and basically creates absolute social havoc at times in their lives.

This show has such a great set of characters with Blair Waldorf being one of my favourite female characters in television ever. I didn't find there was ever a point in the show's whole run where I was fed up watching. I think Gossip Girl is extremely compelling viewing that would make the perfect gift for any lady in your life.


Pretty Little Liars 


I feel that most people who may watch Pretty Little Liars have probably seen it already but I think it's definitely good enough to recommend anyway! I came across PLL back in 2010 when I first started university about six episodes into the first season. I knew no one who watched as it wasn't big in the UK which I almost rather liked but since it's arrival onto Netflix, it has absolutely exploded in the past few years. I even got to know one of my closest friends from my time at university as we struck up a conversation as we both loved the show!

If you haven't heard of Pretty Little Liars it is based on a group of high school girls whose 'Queen B' of the circle goes missing and is later found to have been murdered. The girls then starting receiving texts from a mysterious person named 'A' who is really determined to ruin their lives. I have to admit I think the show was much better in the earlier seasons as I was absolutely hooked to find out the identity of A, season finales were a big deal in my flat at university. I feel like it has got less realistic and believable as the seasons went on but I still love it and will continue to watch until the last bunch of episodes next year when the show comes to a conclusion.


I hope you enjoyed this post! If you were to recommend me a TV show, what would it be?

No comments